Hi there folks! Here is a different topic that I haven’t written about before (brace yourself). Our sewer system is such that the pipes come above ground. I’m not sure who came up with this brilliant idea, but it certainly wasn’t someone who cared about how the garden looked. Life is too short for me to be bothered by this ugliness. I mean, I take a LOT of photographs standing in this exact spot. So this summer I decided to do something about it. (drum roll please…)
Ta Da! Doesn’t that look a thousand times better?
I love it. It is fun, bright, and has flowers!
My family thinks I am crazy. You’d think they would know that by now, wouldn’t you? I just wanted to cover that ugly pipe. That is exactly what I have done. The idea was 100% mine. I made up a pattern for the green cover. I used the internet to find a sun flower pattern, and the leaf pattern. I only covered one side in sun flowers. I am tempted to crochet bright pink flowers for the other side… Undecided still (and a million other projects to finish).
The ugly pipe bothered me. I found a solution. I’m now much, much happier about it. :-) Like I said, life is too short. Go on, do something to make yourself smile. It just might catch on!
P.S. I’m going to go through my pattern below for those that are interested.
This isn’t proper enough to be a pattern, but I think you could use it as a guide. How to start? A simple 42 stitch chain. It was trial and error and this seemed to be the right fit that I wanted. I love the double crochet and all I did was alternate pulling the stitch in front and in back. It gives a great weaving pattern. To break things up, after ten rows I did two rows of plain double crochet, two rows of single crochet, another two rows of double crochet, and then back to my front/back alternating. The top is a simple single, double, single crochet in one stitch followed by slip stitches on either side.
The sun flower pattern came from Skip to my lou. This seems to be a lovely blog. The problem was that her pattern for the center wasn’t exactly clear. But I really liked the bobble look, so I really played around with it and managed to make it work. The petal portion of the pattern was perfect and I love the petals!
The leaves were much easier! “medium fat bottom leaves” from the site Cre8tion Crochet. I love finding the perfect patterns!
That was fun! And easy!